This old CCM Galaxie 3 Speed came to me years ago. The rear wheel and hub looked good but never performed properly. The rear wheel was swapped out and the original went into the shed…
Fast forward 8 years and the same hub was installed on a current project.
I’d clearly forgotten it’s troubled past…
No amount of tweaking or adjusting would make it work.
I decided to take the hub apart and find out what was wrong. There’s a very good tutorial on youtube:
Once apart I found a seized pawl with a rusted/broken spring as well as a displaced pin holding the sun gear onto the axle.
All parts were cleaned, new springs purchased and the hub was re assembled…
It still didn’t work!
I took it apart again and had a closer look at the axle which appeared slightly warped.
I can only imagine that the loose pin had been like that for years and caused the problem.
In any case, I swapped the guts out of a ’61 hub into the shell and all is well…..