I gave this one a quick cleanup, repacked all the bearings and replaced the brake cables.
Total cost to date:
Purchase @ $100.00
Two cables @ $6.00
Master link @ $5.00
It has the short lived self adjusting brake levers that do seem overly complicated.
The only other thing I want to do is replace the brake pads.
Picked this one up today for a reasonable $100.00 (CDN). The young lady I bought from was moving and wants to buy something more modern.
She told me that she’d gotten the bike from a friend’s grandmother and once I started to clean it up I believe her. One clue is the trigger in the flattened position as shipped from the factory. Also the cables and clips are all original and the paint is cleaning up nicely.
The tires were replaced last year and the mechanic had put the front wheel on backwards as the bearing adjuster had backed out quite a bit.
Not sure what I’m going to do with this but I’m sure it will find a good home.
Blog reader Steve T. brought this one to my attention. Advertised on Kijiji close to Kingston.
A mid to late 50’s Raleigh with US Army markings.
I suspect the headlamp was transplanted from another bike as I don’t think the US used any British Bikes. I could be wrong.
Perhaps it was a movie prop.
I picked up an old Norman Ladies’ frame recently and the front wheel/tire was on odd size, 26″ x 1 1/4″.
The tire itself was an old Dunlop Champion and completely shot. I wanted to keep the inner tube as I find old tubes hold air better than the new ones.
I tried to remove the tire with the regular tire irons but found it would not budge. Closer examination revealed a metal wire bead.
I cut the bead with bolt cutters and got it off.
26 x 1 1/4.
Hard to see but says “Inflate Hard”.
I suspect that this was an expensive racing tire.
This one’s back together and somewhat roadworthy. Total costs to date (excluding labour):
New brake cable @ $3.00
It rides and shifts OK but I think I’ll shell out for a new shifter cable ($8.00) and a new pair of brake pads ($5.00).
It just needs a bit more cleaning and some fine tuning.
I was looking for a Ladies’ bike for a friend of mine who is coming to town shortly and I didn’t want to spend too much as she’s only here for a month or so. George at Parkdale Bicycles had this Eatons Glider 5 speed out front and was kind enough to give it to me for this project.The frame was in decent shape and he had already repacked the bearings. The derailleur was missing as well as any cables and pads.
I decided to make it into a 3 speed as I have the parts in the shed.
The hub is dated 1965.
The only real costs on this will be for some new cables and pads. I’m hoping to keep this one under $20.00!
I think it will serve it’s purpose and when my friend returns to Mexico I’ll return the bike to George for him to sell. My work will count as a rental….
A neighbour brought this bike over the other day for me to have a look at. She’d bought it on an impulse last year and now realizes that it’s too tall and heavy for her to ride and carry up to her apartment….
A responsible seller should have told her this.
Someone was interested in buying it and I just gave it a quick cleaning and topped up the oil/air etc.
An examination revealed it to be a 1974 Canadian built model and as far as I could tell was completely original with a few exceptions.
The coveted “R” nuts were there.
The Dynohub spun freely but did not seem to work.
The old style bell was very nice.
The bike had new tires and pads and rode very well.
There is a lesson here for people that want to buy a vintage bicycle. There’s a greater amount of owner responsibility in the ongoing maintenance and upkeep of these things than with some modern bikes.
It’s now somehow cool to ride one of these around but you need to be prepared to do your homework.
I couldn’t let this one go with mis-matched tires, plus it needed some refinements as well.
I didn’t want to spend any more money on it but still wanted it looking presentable.
New tires were purchased for a couple of my regular bikes and the discards (still good) made their way onto the Brown Bike. I also added a pair of shortened inverted bars, a newer brake lever and new pads.
The headset bearings were feeling a little “crunchy” and when I got it apart I found that I’d put an extra bearing in the top……
I took it out for a couple of hours today for a shakedown and it’s quite a nice riding bicycle.
The patio bike rack.
I’ve done a quick rebuild on this one. Originally a 5 speed, I bought the frame for $20.00 and spent as little as possible to put it back together. Not much to look at but it rides fine and stops…
The rear wheel has a 1968 Sturmey Archer Coaster hub and there’s a single caliper on the front.
Total cost on this one:
Frame @ $20.00
Back Wheel and tire @ $10.00
2 cotter pins @ $2.00
Supplies @ $5.00
Everything else was either on the frame or came from pieces in the shed.
Frame also came with a nice period kickstand which will migrate over to one of my bikes in need.
This will either go to a former student (at cost) or be a loaner for a friend who’s coming to visit.
Blog reader Steve T. has sent some photos of his new purchase.
Details to follow.
Had a very nice day here in Toronto on this Bitsa, Raleigh frame with 28″ wheels and a coaster brake….
Photo in front of the NEW Parts Unknown location, 642 King West at Bathurst (up the alley).
642 King West. George is up the alley to the right.
I’m not joking…..